Fashioned from Nature
Fashioned from Nature explores the fabric of fashion and highlights fashion’s dependence on the riches of nature by presenting beautiful dresses from the Victoria and Albert Museum (V&A), London, alongside fascinating specimens from the extensive scientific collections at the Natural History Museum of Denmark. The exhibition celebrates fashion’s innovation, creativity, and the inspiration it finds in nature, but it also draws attention to the industry’s heavy footprint on the planet.
Fashion’s processes and insatiable demand for raw materials come at considerable environmental cost, contributing to air and water pollution and the loss of flora and fauna across the globe. Spanning 400 years, the exhibition Fashioned from Nature shows how and why this has happened and the ways in which today’s fashion designers are rising to the challenge to create a vibrant but more responsible fashion system that respects, protects and celebrate the natural world.
- Beautiful clothing from the world’s leading art and design museum, the Victoria and Albert Museum (V&A) in London.
- Fascinating objects from the Natural History Museum’s scientific collections related to the history of fashion, including colourful beetles, exotic bird feathers, stuffed hummingbirds used for ornamental purposes, whalebone used in dressmaking, and Nordic amber and toxic plant seeds made into jewellery.
- Exciting and innovative new textile products that already exist or are currently being developed, for example a dress made from plant roots.
- Trainers made of recycled plastic retrieved from the oceans, and other imaginative and inventive fashions created with respect for nature by a range of international designers, including Alexander McQueen, Jean Paul Gaultier Stella McCartney, Calvin Klein and Nike.
- Contributions from both established and new Danish design talents, highlighting the fact that Danish fashion is at the forefront in terms of both inspirational design and environmental awareness.
Øster Voldgade 5-7,
1350 Copenhagen K
Opening hours and admission:
Thank you to:
Fashioned from Nature is based on an exhibition created by the Victoria and Albert Museum, London (V&A).
The V&A is the world’s leading museum of art, design and performance, with collections unrivalled in their scope and diversity. It was established to make works of art available to all and to inspire British designers and manufacturers. Today, the V&A’s collections, which span over 5000 years of human creativity in virtually every medium and from many parts of the world, continue to intrigue, inspire and inform.